[Sca-cooks] To oil or not to oil?

Jeff Gedney gedney1 at iconn.net
Mon Oct 3 13:42:51 PDT 2005

>Doesn't that stick to the butter's surface?

A little, perhaps...
You just blow or brush off the excess with a soft
bristled brush.
You dont really taste it, like you do with most oils.
(And people with severe corn allergies are much rarer
than people with allergiers to nut oils.
There are some, and they are generally not also allergic
to Rice starch, so you can use that)
Anyway, _I_ dont really taste it and it is nearly
invisible when the pat melts or is spread.

Anyway IIRC, sometimes you dont need to do anything
at all if the butter is really well chilled.
(I think it has to do with how intricate the mold is.)
I have butter paddles that I used to use and I never
coated them with anything, I just kept the pats in
ice water unless I was actually working on them.

Capt Elias
Dragonship Haven, East
(Stratford, CT, USA)
Apprentice in the House of Silverwing

-Renaissance Geek of the Cyber Seas
- Help! I am being pecked to death by the Ducks of Dilletanteism!
There are SO damn many more things I want to try in
the SCA than I can possibly have time for.
It's killing me!!!

Upon the hempen tackle ship-boys climbing;
Hear the shrill whistle which doth order give
To sounds confused; behold the threaden sails,
Borne with the invisible and creeping wind,
Draw the huge bottoms through the furrow'd sea,
Breasting the lofty surge: O, do but think
You stand upon the ravage and behold
A city on the inconstant billows dancing;
For so appears this fleet majestical,
Holding due course to Harfleur.
  - Shakespeare - Henry V, Act III, Prologue