[Sca-cooks] Rice in a roaster?

Heather M margaretnorthwode at frontiernet.net
Thu Oct 6 06:34:27 PDT 2005

Cat . wrote:

>Hi all
>Gwen Cat the curious PEST again.
>Has anyone ever tried doing quantities of rice (with
>meat in it) in a roaster?  Did it work?  if not, how
>about in a regular oven?  how did that work out?
>Yes Stefan, Im about to go check the floriligium, but
>in case I dont find it, thought I would get in early
>with this august body of wisdom.
>
>In Service and gratitude for all the information here
>and there,
>Gwen Cat

You can do rice in a roaster. Just, take my warning - give it more than
forty-five minutes from start to finish. I put some in a roaster for a
feast this past weekend, having never used the roaster for rice alone,
and my sous chef/chief kitchen drudge and I ended up having to take it
out of the roaster and into a just emptied-and-cleaned stockpot to cook.
In a half-hour at 400 deg. F. the water in the roaster had warmed up
only to the point that it was uncomfortable to handle, and the rice had
absorbed but little water.

It turned out tasty, and on time, but just barely. (The real saver here
was having the almond milk already ready already - thanks, list!)

Margaret Northwode, Meridies