[Sca-cooks] Cooking sequence for outdoor ovens

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Thu Oct 13 11:37:28 PDT 2005

There are a number of books on the subject of ovens
and cooking in them as well as open hearth cookery.
[Devra sells a number of these]

The Forgotten Art Of Building And Using A Brick Bake Oven: How To
Date, Renovate Or Use An Existing Brick Oven, Or To Construct A New One:

The Bread Builders: Hearth Loaves and Masonry Ovens

Building a Wood-Fired Oven for Bread and Pizza

The Magic of Fire: Hearth Cooking

Hearthside Cooking: Virginia Plantation Cuisine [highly recommended
for its practical advice.]

When we lived in the UK, I used to watch cookery shows
that talked about using an AGA stove and how one used
different temperatures in it to manage meals effectively.
Aga's feature up to 4 ovens each of which operate at different
temperatures, so you can vary the baking from simmering to roasting.
I remember it being compared to baking in an old fashioned oven with
falling temperatures.
See http://www.aga-ranges.com/models/four_oven.cfm?index=1
http://www.agalinks.com/Index.asp

Websites include:

Regia Anglorum "Building an Anglo-Saxon Oven"
http://www.regia.org/life/ovens.htm

Building and Using a Medieval-Style Hemispherical Bake Oven
http://www.cs.vassar.edu/~capriest/brikoven.html

http://www.aliceross.com./
See her articles for interesting material on butter molds, etc.

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art26144.asp
http://www.traditionaloven.com/
http://www.williamrubel.com/

Johnnae