[Sca-cooks] canned salmon

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Wed Oct 19 23:09:31 PDT 2005

On Oct 20, 2005, at 1:43 AM, Stefan li Rous wrote:

>> Pulse oatmeal in food processor, not too much.
>>

> He may be using a food processor, but he has that medieval style of
> recipe writing down. :-)
>
> For us less expert cooks, what does "not too much" mean? Leave some
> large lumps? Leave only a few, smaller lumps?

The type of oatmeal isn't specified (and perhaps doesn't matter much
if it's being re-ground in a food processor), but I'd guess the
object is to produce something like "pinhead" oats, which is a
somewhat finer grind than Americans normally associate with steel-cut
Irish or Scottish porridge oats, but not totally ground down to
flour. I further guess this is a job where reground rolled oats would
do fine in, and they're soft enough to be ground reasonably well in a
food processor. Since the purpose appears to be to absorb excess
moisture without making them crumbly, you probably want a sort of
sandy consistency.

>> Mix salmon, egg and oil.
>> Add enough oatmeal to get a good firm texture. Fry on skillet
>>

> For those looking for something that would be familiar to modern
> diners, this sounds a lot like salmon crochets.

Well, if they're crocheted, that might explain their lacy consistency
(okay, guys, I'm tired, sue me). Maybe a little more like modern
crabcakes or fish cakes. Classically, croquettes are a slightly more
complex article (and after years of being traumatized by them in
childhood, I've only comparatively recently realized that it was
maternal execution of same, and not the Croquette Concept, that was
giving me nightmares).

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782