[Sca-cooks] canned salmon

Lonnie D. Harvel ldh at ece.gatech.edu
Thu Oct 20 06:52:50 PDT 2005

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Lonnie said:
>
>> Pulse oatmeal in food processor, not too much.
>
> He may be using a food processor, but he has that medieval style of
> recipe writing down. :-)
>
> For us less expert cooks, what does "not too much" mean? Leave some
> large lumps? Leave only a few, smaller lumps?

See what Serena had to deal with! ;)

Adamantius was correct in his response. The purpose of the oats, besides
imparting their unique flavor, was to absorb moisture (they are also
good in meatballs and meatloaf). I was using rolled oats (Quaker).
Leaving them large and flaky created a cake that was too crumbly and a
texture that was not as pleasing. However, if you aren't careful, you
can process the oats down to powder, resulting in a Salmon-Sawdust
patty. For those that do not wish to use a processor, I also got good
results in rubbing a handful between my hands to break the rolled oats
up into smaller pieces. Other choices are fresh bread crumbs, crushed
crackers, crumbled day-old biscuits, etc.

Basic idea is: fish-like substance (salmon, tuna, crab, conch, etc. ),
egg (binder), oil (fat), moisture absorber (oats, crumbs, etc.),
flavorings (onions, herbs, salt, etc.).

A note on the salmon. My first attempt was with fresh salmon. The cakes
fell apart. I only used half the salmon, so I put remainder in the
fridge overnight. Working from cold salmon, cakes came out fine, but I
also added a bit more oil. I also tried the "fresh pack" salmon. Cakes
came out very nice, price was too high (higher than working with fresh).
Tried it with canned salmon and the cakes were ok. I had to use a bit
more crushed oats to get a good patty. Pan fried in butter, they were
pretty good. Rinsing the canned salmon (and picking out the bits of
bone) is necessary if you don't want it to taste like old salt-water
stored in a tin can. (My favorite was based on the cold fresh salmon.
For the last few I added some freshly grated lime peel and made a quick
cilantro-lime cream to serve it with. Nope, not period.)

Aoghann

For those interested, here is my Great Aunt's recipe for Salmon Patties:
My archive of family recipes is here:
http://users.ece.gatech.edu/~ldh/Recipes/

Salmon Patties

<>1 can salmon (15 – 16 oz)
1 egg
1/3 cup minced onion
1/2 cup flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 cup Crisco

Drain salmon, set aside 2 tbs of juice. In medium mixing bowl, mix
salmon, egg, and onion until sticky. Stir in flour. Add baking powder to
salmon juice, stir into salmon mixture. Form into small patties and fry
until brown (about 5 minutes) in Crisco.