[Sca-cooks] Period Cooking Outdoors

Betsy Marshal betsy at softwareinnovation.com
Thu Oct 20 13:47:30 PDT 2005

Once upon a time, we had a similar situation- some of the welders in our
group made 6-8 frames to hold (at a reasonable height) 3 or 4 cut in half
(longways) metal barrels, to serve as charcoal/wood grills; using some
expanded mesh as a cooking surface. When we loaned the set to our
neighboring barony, the barrels stacked together nicely, but the frames did
not, leading to several round trips to get them all to the site, and home
again. Since you have some time, this might be worth re-creating- as I
recall each frame was a not quite cube of rebar that the curved barrels
wouldn't quite fall through.
Failing that the usual fire trenches with tripods and grates would likely
suffice, but tend to scar the ground...
Hope this helps some, Betsy