[Sca-cooks] Garlic, just Garlic, and nothing but the Garlic

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Mon Oct 24 20:00:52 PDT 2005

On Oct 24, 2005, at 9:42 PM, kattratt wrote:

> Depends upon the restaurant... I have been handed chopped Roasted
> garlic, (eh) chopped garlic from the jar, (expected and used to
> it...) powdered garlic, (ugh) freshly chopped/minced garlic,
> (JOY!!!!) and finally one chucklehead decided to be funny and sent
> a clove... (I sliced it up put it on my freshly baked bread with
> butter and quickly asked for the whole bulb and got it... the chef
> came out to meet me btw, wanted to meet a fellow soul)
> So I have been given garlic in many forms...
> The worst was the powdered garlic in an Italian Restaurant... YES I
> almost walked out.  The only reson I stayed was I was with other
> people. and Yes that meal sucked....
> Nichola

This is about what I expected. It's just that some people do refer to
the powdered and dehydrated stuff as "garlic"; I wanted to be sure we
were all on the same page. I sometimes go to various Latino (mostly
Cuban and Dominican) restaurants that will often put a spoonful of
finely-chopped, raw, fresh garlic on top of pork chops or a steak.
These same places will also sometimes make two garlicky sauces, one
being a fairly recognizable medieval green garlic sauce (garlic,
lemon instead of vinegar, parsley or other green leaves, a tiny bit
of oil for texture), and the other a fairly similar stuff with
crushed, dried red chilies instead of parsley, pretty close to a
Portuguese piri-piri sauce. These equate to happy-camper status.

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04