[Sca-cooks] Boar Meat

Barbara Benson voxeight at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 14:50:16 PDT 2005

Greetings,

It must have gotten lost in the huge missive, but the boar stew was a
big hit. Upon reviewing the recipe, my plan was to put a couple of the
fattier pieces of meat into the fry pans and render them to use the
fat to saute the onions in. But the meat was really really lean. I did
not get too much fat. Luckily the cast iron was well seasoned and it
wasn't a big deal.

Most people were unaware that it was boar (apparently cannot read) and
I even got a couple of comments that they loved the beef stew. Go
figure. The stew was prepared the night before and allowed to cook for
about an hour while the custards were cooking. Then both giant pots
went into the walk-in, tightly covered.

About two hours before feast I pulled it back out and brought it back
to a simmer. I had not put all of the spices that the recipe called
for just in case something intensified too much (I am pretty sure he
had just multiplied it, that is what I do - I just know that the
numbers on the sheet are the maximum that I want to put in and I put
in about half, taste and creep up on the full quantities). The taster
that I had in charge of that said that the only thing it needed was
salt and added it.

Glad Tidings,
Serena