[Sca-cooks] Mediterranean Recipe Resources

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Thu Oct 27 15:50:11 PDT 2005

At the risk of being an old-fashioned librarian
with a fondness for printed sources, I'd suggest also:

Thibaut-Comelade, Eliane. La Table Medievale des Catalans.
Has a huge bibliography.
http://www.pressesdulanguedoc.com/la.table.medievale.des.catalans-11-130.php

Bolens, Lucie. La cuisine andalouse, un art de vivre - XIe-XIIIe siècle
Another interesting work from France, though largely unmentioned in this
  country.
In "La Cuisine Andalouse: Un Art de Vivre" (Albin Michel, 1990), Lucie
Bolens has translated into French 300 Andalusian recipes from the 11th
through 13th centuries; the recipes reveal a pronounced North African
influence, from the many different preparations for eggplant to the
extensive use of couscous, semolina flour and almond paste. Bolens
includes five specifically Jewish recipes in her book, each of them
extremely elaborate, involving many separate steps and lots of
ingredients. In one of them, called "Jewish Partridge," a partridge is
stuffed in its cavity and under the skin with a mixture of almonds, pine
nuts, eggs, oil, garum (a sauce that dates back to Roman times, made
from fermented fish), coriander, cinnamon, pepper and an aromatic herb
called nard. The partridge is then placed in a heavy clay pot and stewed
(over a copper pot filled with very red embers) in a sauce of oil,
vinegar, mint, citron leaves, salt and the pungent paste known as murrí.
The partridge is served with a garnish of hard-boiled egg yolks and
finished with a sprinkling of pepper, cinnamon and sugar.
http://www.forward.com/issues/2003/03.01.03/fast2a.html
---------------
Lots of papers of course--
A paper to hunt up for Languedoc--
CENTRE D'ARCHEOLOGIE MEDIEVALE DU LANGUEDOC
" Usages et goûts culinaires au Moyen Âge en Languedoc et en Aquitaine
". Archéologie du Midi médiéval, 1998, 15
salle L - Périodiques - [HIST Arch midi, 1997-1998 T15-16]

See this bibliography for like items: Copy and paste this and look at
the RTF file-- It's a bibliography from December 2004.
      [RTF] ?
      <http://www.bnf.fr/pages/collections/rtf/gastronomie.rtf>File
      Format: Rich Text Format - View as HTML
      La cuisine andalouse : un art de vivre Xie-XIIIe siècles. Albin
Michel. Paris, 1990.
... L'équipement de la cuisine à Aix-en-Provence au XVe siècle ". ...
www.bnf.fr/pages/collections/rtf/gastronomie.rtf
You might also check out http://www.oldcook.com/index.htm

Thomas Gloning's bibliography at
http://staff-www.uni-marburg.de/~gloning/cookmat.htm  lists a number of
other books, including a number for Portugal.

Are you allowing  Savoy?

Hope this helps,

Johnnae llyn Lewis