[Sca-cooks] Using fresh pumpkin instead of canned in a recipe?

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 27 22:30:43 PDT 2005

Yes.  I believe that you are right about the commercially canned pumpkin.  I was given
a huge pumpkin some years ago, which I cut up into small pieces and baked.  After 4 hours,
it still wasn't cooked, so I ran it through my salad shooter and then packed it into
canning jars and canned them without adding any water or sweeteners.  Just pure pumpkin.
I have used it for making pies, breads and cheesecakes.  The color is paler that the
commercial stuff and less flavorful than the commercial stuff, but still identifiably
pumpkin.

Huette