[Sca-cooks] Using fresh pumpkin instead of canned in a recipe?

Jessica Tiffin melisant at iafrica.com
Fri Oct 28 00:41:29 PDT 2005

At 05:27 AM 10/28/05, Elaine Koogler wrote:
>I spoke with one of the farmers who comes to our local Farmers'
>Market...he recommended a "sort of" pumpkin that's a pale
>orange...almost tan in color.  It's shaped more like a gourd or
>squash...round bottom and a fat, elongated neck.  He said that that's
>the best one to use for breads, pies, etc.
That sounds like butternut, which is very common here in South
Africa.  It's a lovely vegetable - slightly denser flesh than most other
pumpkins, and, to my mind, a far more delicate and subtle flavour. Classic
Cape Malay uses include curried in soup, and served roasted with soft brown
sugar, cinnamon and fresh ginger.

Damn.  Now I want butternut soup.
JdH

Baroness Jehanne de Huguenin (Jessica Tiffin) - cook, herald, musician,
whatever
Shire of Adamastor, Cape Town, South Africa
melisant at iafrica.com ***  http://users.iafrica.com/m/me/melisant
A wonderful bird is the Pelican, / His beak can hold more than his belly can.
He can hold in his beak enough food for a week,
and I'm damned if I see how the hell he can.  (Spike Milligan)