[Sca-cooks] Re: Food on Plates

Kathleen Madsen kmadsen12000 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 12 21:06:58 PDT 2005

Both cheeses have the traditional shape and rind of a
gouda, however the one on the right has what looks
like  cumin and caraway seeds - which would make that
Leyden.  The left one is definitely an aged gouda
which is probably about 2-3 years old.  We have a 4
year version that we carry that is darker and
grainier, it no longer crumbles like this image,
rather it breaks into shards.

Both dutch cheeses, and both made in late-period,
which fits what you've got painted on the canvas and
the area the artist is from.

Hope this has helped,
Eibhlin, who is a cheesemonger and corp. buyer of
cheese and charcut. in real life.  ;)

Ok folks---

Picture One
http://www.nga.gov/exhibitions/2005/claesz/claesz_ss1.shtm

The question has arisen on another list as to the
cheeses?

The fruits in question I think are mainly currants.

Any ideas on the cheese?

Johnnae