[Sca-cooks] A Challenge to Find a Dish

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Wed Sep 7 14:13:25 PDT 2005

At 02:09 PM 9/7/2005, you wrote:
>Your rules do not help me so much but I found a dish that may work...
>But I really like the hunt for the dish that starts with 'C'
>
>Chekyns in browet

>This is an excerpt from Liber cure cocorum.
>The original source can be found on Thomas Gloning's website.
>
>Chekyns in browet. Take chekyns, scalde hom fayre and clene. Take persole,
>sauge, oþer herb3, grene Grapus, and stope þy chekyns with wynne. Take
>goode brothe, sethe hom þerinne, So þat þay sone boyled may be. Coloure þe
>brothe with safrone fre, And cast þeron powder dowce, For to be served in
>goode mennys howse.

I served this to the Prince and Princess of the Summits at an event last
month- it went over well and I didn't have to figure out what to do with
the leftovers- because there weren't any! The only thing I wondered about-
anyone have an opinion as to whether the grapes were 'green' as in
underripe, or 'green' as in color?

'Lainie
"No people can be great who have ceased to be virtuous."
Samuel Johnson: An Introduction To The Political State of Great Britain