[Sca-cooks] OOP- A Book I Found

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Thu Sep 8 04:46:22 PDT 2005

Johnnae wrote:
>He's a good guy and it's a good book. He's also SCA friendly.
>Home page is here http://www.williamrubel.com/
>I had the pleasure of meeting him in person at Leeds Symposium
>in 2004. He's an interesting guy. His next book is on baking, I think.

>From things I observed and heard last year he's also a bit controversial.
I'm a nobody in the culinary history world but he greeted me effusively at
last year's Leeds Symposium and started to talk about his book.  It was a
bit self-promoting (although I'm guilty of that myself!) and off-putting.
>From what I heard at least one noted culinary historian say, he pumps
others for information and then uses the material as if he discovered it.
This has led that culinary historian to refuse to answer in detail any more
questions from Rubel.  Doesn't diminish the usefulness of his book - just
gives a spin on what goes on behind the scenes.

Alys Katharine

Elise Fleming
alysk at ix.netcom.com
http://home.netcom.com/~alysk/