[Sca-cooks] foods not eaten...or shouldn't be

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 11 08:00:14 PDT 2005

Lyse wrote:
>I grew up with the canned yams poured into a shallow baking dish, a little
>brown sugar and the large marshmallows cut in half (my aunt did it in
>quarters) strewn over the top and baked till edges of marshmallows were
>golden. I wasn't until later in life that I was introduced to the mashed
>yams/sweet potatoe with crunchy topping casserole.

I'm not sure when the marshmallows on yams started. I never ate them,
but i know we did make them for my brother who never met a form of
sugar he didn't like. This would be back in the 1950s or possibly the
very early 1960s

>Also, raised with French style green beans mix with a can of cream of potato
>soup (undiluted) with the crunchy onion sprinkled on top.

I never had anything like this until i was i my mid-20s at a
boyfriend's parent's house... the classic tuna/wide-noodle casserole
with green beans mixed with a can of undiluted Campbell soup (either
Cream of Mushroom or Cream of Celery) and crumbled potato chips on
top. I shudder to remember the experience.

>I was informed once by a French student that salads in areas of France would
>be served after the entree as it is believed that the salad settles the
>stomach and aids with digestion.

This is true. When i lived in southern France, we had salad after the entree.
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita