[Sca-cooks] easy bread recipe?

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Fri Sep 23 06:47:59 PDT 2005

How big a mixer is available?  Does it have a bread hook?

What size of containers do you have for the first rise?

What size is the convection oven?

A 10-12 quart Hobart will handle enough dough for 8 one pound loaves.
Larger mixers will handle more.  If you don't have a mixer then 13 quart
stainless steel bowls can be used to prepare 8 one pound loaves.  It takes
10 to 30 minutes to prepare dough, depending on technique and recipe.

A 13 quart stainless steel bowl will handle the rise for 8 pounds of bread.
For your purposes, the first rise will take 2 to 4 hours.

Kneading and shaping will take 20 to 30 minutes per 8 loaf batch.

A standard commercial baking sheet will handle 12 to 16 boules.  The second
rise will take 1 to 2 hours.

A standard commercial convection oven will handle up to 3 commercial baking
sheets (I prefer 2) and take 25 to 35 minutes per batch, not including
pre-heat and re-heating times.

I calculate a one pound loaf as a single serving for 4 people and the
batches I prepare as 8 loaves.  From experience, I can say it takes about 5
hours for me to knock out 48 loaves in a commercial kitchen.  8 hours at
home.

Bear