[Sca-cooks] easy bread recipe?

Lonnie D. Harvel ldh at ece.gatech.edu
Fri Sep 23 07:11:14 PDT 2005

Terry Decker wrote:

> How big a mixer is available?  Does it have a bread hook?

Hobart stand mixer, don't know if it has a bread hook. (wouldn't that be
too convenient)

> What size of containers do you have for the first rise?

Several extremely large plastic tubs that could be made available
(cleaned and such)

> What size is the convection oven?

It is a "commercial convection oven". I have not seen it.

> A 10-12 quart Hobart will handle enough dough for 8 one pound loaves.
> Larger mixers will handle more.  If you don't have a mixer then 13
> quart stainless steel bowls can be used to prepare 8 one pound
> loaves.  It takes 10 to 30 minutes to prepare dough, depending on
> technique and recipe.
>
> A 13 quart stainless steel bowl will handle the rise for 8 pounds of
> bread. For your purposes, the first rise will take 2 to 4 hours.

I have such a bowl (I think, need to check)

> Kneading and shaping will take 20 to 30 minutes per 8 loaf batch.
>
> A standard commercial baking sheet will handle 12 to 16 boules.  The
> second rise will take 1 to 2 hours.
>
> A standard commercial convection oven will handle up to 3 commercial
> baking sheets (I prefer 2) and take 25 to 35 minutes per batch, not
> including pre-heat and re-heating times.
>
> I calculate a one pound loaf as a single serving for 4 people and the
> batches I prepare as 8 loaves.  From experience, I can say it takes
> about 5 hours for me to knock out 48 loaves in a commercial kitchen.
> 8 hours at home.
>
> Bear

OK. So if I get 1-2 folks in there around 10am, we can have the bread
ready by 6pm, even though we probably aren't as efficient as you are. I
think I may have to do some creative cheating, given my lack of
experience at mass baking. Unless, of course, an experience baker
materializes in my kitchen. (Hey, it happens!)

So, any suggestion on a recipe? This is what I cam up with so far from
my cookbooks:

Oatmeal Bread (1lb loaf)
3/4 cup water
1 Tbs oil
1 1/2 tsp honey
1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup rolled oats
1 1/2 Tbs powdered milk
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp active dry yeast

This is from a bread machine cookbook, so the instructions are, "put all
the ingredients in the pan in the order listed" ... "push Start."  I
assume that is not the process for a Hobart mixer and convection oven. I
assume I mix the dry ingredients, then the liquids, then hit the start
button on the Hobart. Form a mass, pull it out, let it rise till double.
Beat it down, divide into loaves, place on pan, let rise a second time.
Put in convection oven, push start. What would be an appropriate
temperature for a convection oven? Approximate cook time?

I just love new experiences!

Aoghann