[Sca-cooks] easy bread recipe?

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Fri Sep 23 16:57:30 PDT 2005

> Terry Decker wrote:
>
>> How big a mixer is available?  Does it have a bread hook?
>
> Hobart stand mixer, don't know if it has a bread hook. (wouldn't that be
> too convenient)

If this is a table top unit it should fall in the 10-12 quart range.  If it
is a floor mixer, check to see what size it is.  You may be able to make
your dough in one or two passes.  Hobart's usually ship with a dough hook
and I really don't recommend trying to make dough without it.  The results
can be--interesting.

>> What size of containers do you have for the first rise?
>
> Several extremely large plastic tubs that could be made available (cleaned
> and such)

Four gallon or larger buckets work well for an 8 to 12 loaf batch.  Grease
the inside so you can get it back out. A solid shortening is better as it
reduces absorbtion into the dough.  Spread a little vegetable oil on top of
the dough, then cover it with plastic wrap running back up the sides of the
buckets to keep air from the dough and the dough from sticking to the
plastic wrap (hopefully).

>> What size is the convection oven?
>
> It is a "commercial convection oven". I have not seen it.

See it before you lay your bets.  Make sure it runs.  Check the temp with an
oven thermometer.  The site I normally prepare meals at I have two standard
ovens and a convection oven and I don't trust any of them.

>> A 13 quart stainless steel bowl will handle the rise for 8 pounds of
>> bread. For your purposes, the first rise will take 2 to 4 hours.
>
> I have such a bowl (I think, need to check)

If you only have one, use the buckets.  I've got at least 5 of them.

> So, any suggestion on a recipe? This is what I cam up with so far from my
> cookbooks:
>
> Oatmeal Bread (1lb loaf)
> 3/4 cup water
> 1 Tbs oil
> 1 1/2 tsp honey
> 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
> 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
> 1/3 cup rolled oats
> 1 1/2 Tbs powdered milk
> 1 tsp salt
> 1 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
>
> This is from a bread machine cookbook, so the instructions are, "put all
> the ingredients in the pan in the order listed" ... "push Start."  I
> assume that is not the process for a Hobart mixer and convection oven. I
> assume I mix the dry ingredients, then the liquids, then hit the start
> button on the Hobart. Form a mass, pull it out, let it rise till double.
> Beat it down, divide into loaves, place on pan, let rise a second time.
> Put in convection oven, push start. What would be an appropriate
> temperature for a convection oven? Approximate cook time?
>
> I just love new experiences!
>
> Aoghann

The recipe looks a little heavy on the yeast.  One teaspoon per loaf should
be enough, but the one and a half teaspoons is not beyond limits.  I would
just go with the recipe unless I planned to test it.

Blending a dough in a Hobart is different from a bread machine.  For each
batch of dough, take a cup or two of water at 80-90 degrees F, sprinkle the
active dry yeast for the batch on top a little at a time and gentle stir it
into the water.  You should have yeast bubbles rising gently to the surface
in about 10 minutes.  Add the yeast mix to the rest of the water add the oil
and honey, then the powdered milk.  Mix the dry ingredients other than the
salt together and put them in the mixing bowl on top of the liquor.
Sprinkle the salt on top of that.  Run the mixer on low until a shaggy dough
forms, then increase the speed to medium and let the dough knead into a
smooth mass.  I usually have to pull it off the hook once or twice, but
maybe you'll get luck and it will form a ball.

Divide the dough, if necessary, to fit the rising pans (remembering it will
try to double or better).  Let rise.

Beat down. Divide (a bench knife or dough scrapper is useful here).  Shape
and pan.  Don't crowd the loaves, they're gonna grow.  Let rise.

Kitchens with commercial baking sheets often have baking parchment sheets to
fit them.  They make cleanup easier.  A layer of cornmeal scattered on the
bottom of the pan will do the same thing.

If your recipe doesn't give a time and temperature, try 425 F for 30 minutes
for a 1 pound loaf.  If it does have a time and temperature, convection
ovens cut about 1/3 off the conventional oven baking time.  But that it a
rule of thumb and not to be trusted in a specific case.  All ovens have
variables.

Pre-heat your oven.  Check the temperature with an oven thermometer during
pre-heating.  After you are at a steady temperature, pull the thermometer
and load the pans, close up and start the blower.  If this is an electric
rather than a gas convection oven, be sure the blower is off before you open
the door.  Electric heating elements don't like temperature shock.  Let the
oven re-heat between loads.

If you really want to check the baking, make some extra loaves to go in the
first batch and pull one every 5 minutes beginning at 20 minutes to tear
open and check the crumb until the bread is baked.  Preferably, I run a test
batch, but I doubt you'll have time for that luxury, although a small first
batch may be a practical substitute.

The dough is an enriched dough, so there may be greater browning of the
crust than you want.  Keep an eye on the bread.  If it starts getting too
brown, cover the top of the loaves with aluminum foil.  This will change the
timing so you may need to add a few minutes to the baking time.  Do not
leave the oven door open while tenting the loaves.

If you get uneven baking (which can happen even in a convection oven), swap
the baking sheets top to bottom and rotate them 180 degrees on the racks at
about 15-20 minutes (depending on the actual baking time)

Have fun!

Bear