[Sca-cooks] trenchers and the "mini Ice Age"

Carole Smith renaissancespirit2 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 27 13:38:03 PDT 2005

Actually, the not-to-be-eaten pie crust was still actively used as late as the early 1900s (preWWII).  It has co-existed for some centuries with other forms of pie crusts we are more familiar with, such puff pastry and the short crust, if the recipes in Mrs. Beeton's cookbook are to be trusted.

Cordelia Toser

"Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius" <adamantius.magister at verizon.net> wrote:

On Sep 27, 2005, at 2:25 AM, Stefan li Rous wrote:

>> > written about later. Their use began declining after the 13th
>> > Century and disappeared in the 17th Century.
>>
>> Replaced to a great extent by sippets and toasts...
>>

> And what makes you think the sippets and toasts replaced trenchers?
> Just because something goes out of fashion or taste while another
> comes in, doesn't mean one replaced the other.

No, but when the second item is similar, or arguably similar, in both
form, function, and substance, _and_ when there is neither a really
significant overlap when both items were in widespread use nor a
really significant gap wherein neither was used, I'd say it could
easily be argued to be a case of replacement.