[Sca-cooks] Back from Another England Farewell

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Mon Apr 10 16:34:34 PDT 2006

THL Guillane and I are back from our travels to England.
We landed last evening and made our ways back to Springfield and Chelsea.
Dinner with the present Gervase Markham was delightful and
the session at Ivan Day's was well worth the money. We
concentrated on the earlier Markham's recipes from the
English Housewife. I thought the Leeds Symposium this year was
superb, but I adore molds in any size and shape anyway.
Guillane and I also managed to drive and find Fountains, Hardwick Hall
and Hampton Court. Haddon was closed for BBC filming and Hatfield
wasn't open yet. We shall have to do them another time. We skipped
Canterbury; bit too ambitious to go that far.
 I am sure Countess Alys will have more to add and other details
will emerge after I get some more rest.
There are a number of books to mention anyway... La Varenne is finally out!
Tom Jaine had copies at Leeds plus a number of others.
It's lovely--- I carried that one back. Devra thought she ought to have
a stock soon.
But don't ask her until late this month. She's still over there with
Countess A.

Johnnae