[Sca-cooks] Re: Sca-cooks Digest Jadwiga's Ginger Syrup recipe

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Sun Apr 16 22:04:56 PDT 2006

> Oooooooooooh. this is one I missed!1 Recipe please?

Lemon-ginger syrup... note, while syrups and jalabs can be documented to
period, this one isn't a documented example:

2.5 cups water
4 cups sugar

Dissolve together and bring to a boil, while you begin peeling and
chopping up a 4-5" long piece of fresh ginger.

When sugar mixture reaches a boil, add 1 cup lemon juice and reduce to a
simmer. Add ginger as it becomes peeled and cut up (I cut mine into 1/4"
thick slices and then into 1/2" dice to make candy of later).

Simmer mixture until reduced by about 1/3.

Remove from heat, cover, and leave overnight.

Strain out pieces of ginger and bottle. (You can boil the ginger pieces
in soft-ball-stage sugar syrup for candied ginger).

To serve, mix to taste with water (about 1 part syrup to 6-8 parts
water).

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"America was not built on fear. America was built on courage, on
imagination and an unbeatable determination to do the job at hand."
	-- Harry S. Truman