[Sca-cooks] egg recipes

Aurelia Coritana aurelia_coritana at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 18 10:16:38 PDT 2006

For all those with an embarassing number of eggs to use, how about this lovely recipe from Ancient Rome? It's hard boiled eggs with pine nut sauce, and the sauce is absolutely addictive.

  Ancient Roman Egg Recipe:     For medium-boiled eggs: Pepper, lovage, and soaked pine nuts. Pour on honey and vinegar; mix with garum    - Apicius     Modern Egg Recipe:     4 medium-boiled eggs
2 ounces pine nuts
3 tablespoons vinegar
1 teaspoon honey
Pinch each of pepper and lovage (or celery leaf)      1. Soak the pine nuts 3-4 hours beforehand in the vinegar.    2. Mix all the sauce ingredients thoroughly in a blender. This sauce should be presented in a sauce boat so that each person can serve himself or herself, since the eggs cannot be sliced and placed on a dish in advance.

-Aurelia

  Message: 3