[Sca-cooks] Care of Unglazed Pottery

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Sat Apr 22 04:44:34 PDT 2006

Salve

I'm beginning to concentrate on open-fire cookery this year, and managed to
get my hands on some unglazed pottery pots and pans that should work (they're
replicas of period designs mostly). However, while I have been gioven good
advice on using them (keep moist, heat slowly,  don't use open flame), I'm a
bit at a loss how to clean them.

How do you keep yours clean? I know you can't prevent flavours from sticking,
but I'm sure you can get those incrustations out. Right now, I'm using hot
water and plastic scrubbers. What about soap? Is that a no-no? Does baking
soda help with the aftertaste?

Thanks

Giano