[Sca-cooks] lamb vs. mutton

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Apr 26 21:41:23 PDT 2006

Adele asked me, and Bear answered her with:

Under USDA rules, lamb is a sheep under one year old, so calling
hogget lamb is fraud.

Bear

 > Are you thinking, perhaps of hogget (sheep 1-2 years old)?  Someone
 > told me that US domestic "lamb" is usually hogget.
 > I'll look around for a recipe.
 > --
 > Adele de Maisieres
<<<<<<

I was referring to the fact that I believe we discussed in the past,
that medieval lamb was a sheep which was still nursing. The taste of
such meat is much milder than mutton or what is often today called
"lamb". There is an economic incentive to get the animal as big as
possible before slaughtering it since that yields more meat and thus
more money. Unfortunately, the longer this goes on the more the
"lamb" tastes like mutton. Since it sounded like this lamb had not
come through the usual channels I was just wondering if it was more
lamb or mutton. It might affect what recipes you choose for it.

Here is a message which I've saved which hasn't yet made it into the
Florilegium files.
------