[Sca-cooks] re:cornbread

marilyn traber 011221 phlip at 99main.com
Sun Apr 2 10:29:36 PDT 2006

> As we say in some parts of the south...just funning ya'll.  I use
> cornbread mix for toppings and cornbread in a pinch.  Love the idea
> of using masa but ashamed as a native Texan that i did not think of
> that a long time ago.

Alot of folks haven't, apparently. I just happened to think of it because I
was out of corn meal (although I'm never out of masa), and also started
experimenting for a friend of mine who's celiac, once I figured out what
celiac was ;-)

> As far as sweetened or not corn bread, I
> prefer mine sweet; family does not .  Either way is good.

I just don't like sugar in everything, as I don't like salt in everything.
Both items need to be used as flavorings and flavor enhancers, not as food
groups. Most herbs and spices are much better for you than either is. And
yes, I realize that salt and sugar are both dietary necessities, but
definitely not in the quantities most Americans use them, not to mention we
could live our whole lives without refined sugars and never suffer a whit.

> White or
> yellow just depends on what mood I am in.  White for fancy, yellow
> for really down home. Also prefer buttermilk when I have it

Agreed ;-) Sour milk works too.

>  but one
> thing is always done, no matter what pan I use.  The pan must be
> heated before I put the batter in it.  I rarely have problems with
> sticking that way. Bertha

I just butter the pan before adding the cornbread mix- no problems sticking
that way either. Pre-heating the pan is something I don't do, because I've
discovered that letting the cornbread mix sit out for a few minutes makes a
more even level in the pan before baking, poarticularly when you're using one
of the dryer recipes. And, I like mine about an inch thick, often mixed with
creamed corn (only use I've ever found for the stuff) and chopped hot
peppers. The creamed corn gives it just a bit of sweetness, without being as
sugary as most sweetened cornbread is, and if it's an inch thick, it's easy
to split and slather with butter, then put back together for melted in butter
goodness ;-)

Cornbread mix, either the commercial stuff, or the wetter recipes does very
well fried up like pancakes on those occasions when you don't happen to have
an oven.

> P.S.: I am half a yankee...Berti

According to SOME southerners, so am I since I'm a Virginian ;-)

Phlip