[Sca-cooks] re:cornbread

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sun Apr 2 10:32:40 PDT 2006

On Apr 2, 2006, at 1:02 PM, Marcha wrote:

> As we say in some parts of the south...just funning ya'll.  I use
> cornbread mix for toppings and cornbread in a pinch.

So what's in cornbread mix, and what do you have to add to it to make
cornbread? Is it a just-add-water thing, like a corn version of
Bisquick, or is it just the dry ingredients assembled in somebody's
idea of the right proportion?

>   Love the idea of using masa but ashamed as a native Texan that i
> did not think of that a long time ago.  As far as sweetened or not
> corn bread, I prefer mine sweet; family does not .  Either way is
> good. White or yellow just depends on what mood I am in.  White for
> fancy, yellow for really down home.

I'd agree, but my feeling is there might be more varied culinary
applications for yellow cornmeal, and therefore more reasons for me
to keep a supply on hand. I suppose if one eats cornbread several
times a week, they could keep both kinds and there'd be no problem...

> Also prefer buttermilk when I have it but one thing is always done,
> no matter what pan I use.  The pan must be heated before I put the
> batter in it.  I rarely have problems with sticking that way.

I think there's a perception that the finished product is lighter,
like a popover, when done that way...

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782