Lists/Portals - was Re: [Sca-cooks] STOP TOP POSTING!

Tom Vincent Tom.Vincent at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 9 16:18:40 PDT 2006

Thanks!  What I was thinking about was a wiki-type of portal, where
people could post recipes, photos, images, redactions, links to
merchants, etc., that would be much more than just a discussion board or
e-mail list.  Having a small group of people in charge of such a thing
can result in distribution of labor, sharing of ideas, etc.

Here's what one (person?, group?) is doing SCA-wise out of Australia:

http://cunnan.sca.org.au/wiki/Main_Page

My concern about having what essentially becomes a library/repository of
information is this:  How reliable is the backup procedures, if any, and
what happens if the person running it goes away, forgets to pay the
hosting bills, loses interest, etc.  Building a vast repository only to
see it vanish in an instant would not only be devastating but a tragic
loss.  Having a group of decision-makers limits the possibility of
catastrophic failure due to a mistake or deliberate act of sabotage by
any one person while also providing a variety of opinions and experiences.

Duriel