[Sca-cooks] Cooking Feasts without a Kitchen

ekoogler1 at comcast.net ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Mon Apr 10 12:21:08 PDT 2006

From: Adele de Maisieres <ladyadele at paradise.net.nz>

> >    Besides, telling the autocrats they are crazy :) What advice does anyone
> have for menu ideas?
>
> Actually, telling them they're crazy sounds like a good plan to me.
> Honestly, I can't imagine what an event steward is thinking when they
> pick out a site with no kitchen, don't allow for some serious equipment
> hire and want to have a feast.
>
> Adele d'M

What she said...especially for a Coronation!  Usually, you want to do something really fancy/spiffy for these kinds of things.  I could see it for a Crown Tourney, where the emphasis is on fighting...do a warm, hearty stew, a few veggies, some bread, cheese, fruit...and maybe some sweets.  But not for Coronation!

Those cajun cookers Papa G referred to in his message are a godsend.  We call them "flame-throwers", but it's the same thing.  They give you the power you need to be able to heat large quantities of stuff.  And the "seal-a-meal" things are wonderful as well...we use them for Pennsic instead of the large containers I used to carry with stews, etc., in them and it makes reheating and cleanup SO much easier.

Kiri