[Sca-cooks] how to make bread

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Tue Apr 11 23:49:47 PDT 2006

>I am new to the list and fairly new to the SCA.  I was looking for ways to
>make bread at camp.  Can anybody help me? I have a propane stove and a
>Colman type oven.
>Thanks

I have no experience with using either of those
things. But there are several period frying pan
breads, which can be made without an oven.

This one is 16th c. Mughal--northern India

Bread
Ain i Akbari

There is a large kind, baked in an oven, made of
10 s. flour; 5 s. milk; 1 1/2 s. ghi; 1/4 s.
salt. They make also smaller ones. The thin kind
is baked on an iron plate. One ser will give
fifteen, or even more. There are various ways of
making it; one kind is called chapati, which is
sometimes made of khushka; it tastes very well
when served hot. [see p. 6 for units]

1 lb = 3 1/2 c flour	2.4 oz ghee (clarified butter) = 3/8-1/2 c
1/2 lb = 1 c milk	.4 oz salt = 1/2 T

Melt the ghee, stir it into the flour with a fork
until there are only very small lumps. Stir in
the milk until thoroughly mixed, knead briefly.
Put the ball of dough in a bowl covered by a damp
cloth and leave for at least an hour. Then knead
the dough until it is smooth and elastic, adding
a little extra flour if necessary. Either:

Take a ball of dough about 2" in diameter, roll
it out to about a 5" diameter circle. Cook it in
a hot frying pan without grease. After about 2
minutes it should start to puff up a little in
places. Turn it. Cook another 2 minutes. Turn it.
Cook another 2 minutes. It should be done. The
recipe should make about 11 of these. Or ...

Take a ball of dough about 3" in diameter. Roll
it down to a circle about 7" in diameter and 1/4"
thick. Heat a baking sheet in a 450° oven. Put
the circle of dough on it in the oven. Bake about
6 minutes; it should be puffing up. Turn it over.
Bake about 4 minutes more. Take it out. The
recipe should make about 5 of these.

And here is my conjectural reconstruction of the
oat cakes that Froissart describes:

Scottish Oat Cakes: A Conjectural Reconstruction

"the only things they take with them [when riding
to war] are a large flat stone placed between the
saddle and the saddle-cloth and a bag of oatmeal
strapped behind. When they have lived so long on
half-cooked meat that their stomachs feel weak
and hollow, they lay these stones on a fire and,
mixing a little of their oatmeal with water, they
sprinkle the thin paste on the hot stone and make
a small cake, rather like a wafer, which they eat
to help their digestion." (Froissart's
Chronicles, Penguin Books translation.)

So far as I know, there are no surviving period
recipes for oat cakes. This article is an attempt
to reconstruct them, mainly on the basis of
Froissart's brief comment.

Rolled oats--what we today call "oatmeal"--are a
modern invention. I assume that "oat meal" in the
middle ages meant the same thing as "meal" in
other contexts--a coarse flour. The only other
ingredient mentioned is water, but salt is
frequently omitted in medieval recipes--Platina,
for instance, explicitly says that he doesn't
bother to mention it--so I have felt free to
include it. The oat cakes Froissart describes are
field rations, so unlikely to contain any
perishable ingredients such as butter or lard,
although they may possibly have been used in
other contexts.

Consistent with these comments, the following is
my conjectural recipe for oatcakes as they might
have been made by Scottish troopers c. 1400:

1/2 c "Scottish Oatmeal" -- coarsely ground whole
oats.	1/4 c water	1/4 t salt

Put the oatmeal in a spice grinder and process
for about 20 seconds, producing something
intermediate between what you started with and
bread flour. Add salt and water and let the
mixture stand for about fifteen minutes. Make
flat cakes 1/4" to 3/8" in thickness, cook on a
medium hot griddle, without oil, about 3-5
minutes.

The result is a reasonably tasty flat bread. In
scaling the recipe up for a meal or a feast, you
would want to experiment with grinding whole oats
into meal or find a finer (and less expensive)
oatmeal than the gourmet product, intended for
making porridge, that I was using.

Hope those help. I also have a couple of frying
pan pastry recipes that I am fond of--both
Islamic.
--
David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com