Food-related Meta-Issue -- was, Re: [Sca-cooks] Cola with sugar was Semi-OT: So... guten Pesach to them as does it...

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu Apr 13 09:51:25 PDT 2006

On Apr 13, 2006, at 11:59 AM, <tom.vincent at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I think it's disgraceful, but that's what you get when you choose
> 'leaders' by combat skills alone instead of by leadership skill and
> reflection of preferred Medieval/Renaissance presence.  Pick
> leaders that present themselves as positive role models and
> accurately portray period royals.

Well, I tend to see the world in shades of grey (figuratively
speaking), and there's plenty about period royalty I'd rather not see
in the SCA, but in general, I become concerned about   how our views
as a group are evolving.

So, for example, it's my opinion that the squire in the household of
one of our recent kings, who sidled up to a friend of mine at 12th
Night and informed her (she being a Laurel, a Pelican, one of the two
senior territorials by precedence in my Kingdom, and founder or co-
founder of several guilds, our company of waterbearers, and our
company of archers) that you were NOTHING in this group if you
weren't a currently active and high-level fighter, needs to be taken
behind the woodshed by those he considers authority figures and given
the spanking his daddy obviously never gave him. I'd like to think
that prospective candidates for Royalty in my Kingdom might be the
ones to give it.

But as for how food figures in with all this, I have no problem with,
and great sympathy for, those with crippling food allergies. I just
have no patience for adults with the food habits of a four-year-old
-- that should be their problem, and not mine, or my Kingdom's.

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04