[Sca-cooks] Introduction and a Request

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Fri Apr 14 05:48:12 PDT 2006

On Apr 14, 2006, at 2:37 AM, David Friedman wrote:

>> So basically I'm looking for any suggestions any of you may have
>> for recipes (or leads on where to find them) for Provencale foods,
>> either period or modern.
>
> You might want to look at _Du Fait de Cuisine_--there is a
> translation webbed on my site. It's a 15th century cookbook written
> by the chief cook of the Duke of Savoy, which gets it pretty close
> to Provence. I don't know of any period cookbooks that are actually
> from Provence, but I'm not very familiar with the 16th century
> sources.

It's been alleged that the Harpestrang manuscript, a version of which
has been published as "An Old Icelandic Medical Miscellany", and in
another form as "Libellus de arte coquinaria" are in fact recipes
from the South of France.

I don't know if there's any more compelling reason than the
comparatively frequent appearance of olive oil, almonds, and saffron
in a manuscript in the library of a Dane believed to have gone to
medical school in the South of France, but the theory that these
recipes are more French Riviera than Scandinavian is definitely out
there.

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782