[Sca-cooks] Beef Bafflement article

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Sat Apr 15 16:35:58 PDT 2006

*snort*....We're about the same age, I think.  I got it in Jr High, and I'd
been cooking since I was 6.  We had a teacher who thought salt and pepper
were plenty seasoning enough for some gawdawful hamburger/macaroni dish we
were making.  Back in 1973, in my hometown, girls were actually NOT allowed
to take shop.  or electronics.  or woodwork.  or auto shop.  All things of
real, practical value that would have stood me in good stead as an adult
(especially since I already knew how to cook and sew).
My mother used to tell a story about her "Home Ec" class, and how much they
ALL hated the teacher.  Apparently, they had to make sugar cookies one time,
and to get back at her, they used salt instead of sugar.  The teacher found
out, somehow, and made the class eat them.  <shudders>
I will openly and freely admit to making use of those handy stickers on beef
packages.  I'm not that educated in the finer points of meat cuts.  When I
was making beef/barley soup for Crown Tourney last weekend, I bought beef
that was intended for use as pot roast, figuring that a good, long simmer in
the soup pot would tenderize the beef, and give good flavor.  Besides, it
was quite a bit cheaper than the pre-cut "stewing beef."
--Maire, looking forward to Easter Brunch tomorrow....mmmmmm