[Sca-cooks] Sausage Making

Adele de Maisieres ladyadele at paradise.net.nz
Sat Apr 15 16:51:30 PDT 2006

> Now I have another question. Has anyone here made sausages and if so,
> did you find the task to be difficult? I am looking into buying a meat
> grinder/sausage combo for next to nothing. I remember someone saying
> that
> the casings can be difficult to find, but I have found an on-line
> source
> that ships them in brine and vaccumed sealed.
> >
> > I have found numerous recipes for the spices and techniques, but any
> suggestions on accompiments would be good to.Fairy Tale Designs wrote:
> First I wanted to thank all those have helped my figure out ideas for the no
kitchen issue and the "pizza only" issue.

>   Now I have another question.  Has anyone here made sausages and if so, did
you find the task to be difficult? I am looking into buying a meat
grinder/sausage combo for next to nothing.   I remember someone saying that the
casings can be difficult to find, but I have found an on-line source that ships
them in brine and vaccumed sealed.

>   I have found numerous recipes for the spices and techniques, but any
suggestions on accompiments would be good to.

Frankly, it's a bit of a pain-- messy and time-consuming.  Having said that,
every time we've had sausages from a period recipe at a feast, they've been a
smash hit.  So, unless you're really interested in the experience of making
them, my recommendation is to find a small or artisan butcher who's willing to
help you out.  Some of them are willing to make a fairly small quantity to order
and not charge excessively.  (Actually, to tell the truth, most people don't
make good use of their butcher, so they're often quite delighted to be asked for
something special. )

Adele d'M