[Sca-cooks] Sausage Making

grizly grizly at mindspring.com
Sat Apr 15 17:32:55 PDT 2006

I have made suasages for a feast on two occasions, and have done a
'commissioned' effort for a fundraiser.  There is a specialty sausage maker
in mtro-Atlanta (owned by ex-Braves catcher Biff Pocoroba) who found it
amusing and entertaining tomake my redaction of a Menagier sausage.  I took
in the seasoning and tiold them the total meat , fat ration, and salt
content.  They cold smoked for a few hours and bagged it for me . . . even
made links the size I wanted.

Last two times I made it myself.  Grinding can be done by the butcher if
they will make your fat/lean ratio as you want it.  Stuffing was done best
with a large cast-iron Enterprise Lard Press/Sausage Stuffer . . . the hand
crank on the kitchen table was a bit of a nightmare.

Two things that are absolutely crucial.  KEEP IT COLD.  All things must be
cold and observe time/temp stresses on your food through the whole deal.
LUBRICATE THE MEAT.  I did not add enough water to my sausage before
stuffing, and it was a whole lot more effort to stuff than it should have
been.  Whatever liquid your recipe calls for will make the mixture smooth
enough to extrude more simply.

Do it just for the experience of it all.  Nothing like feeling the joy of a
period charcutier!  Every manuscript (at least almost all) I have seen
translated have recipes for sausage.  Then, try your hand at making a
mustard (also ubiquitous recipes) to go with it.  No better love than a hand
crafted sausage and mustard.

niccolo