[Sca-cooks] Sausage Making (long)

Carol Smith Eskesmith at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 15 18:27:02 PDT 2006

I make sausages pretty regularly, and have almost always frozen them and
have had no problems.
By all means, make a test batch(5 lbs or less) to try out your spices.  Go
easy at first; you can always more, but it's almost impossible to reduce
them.  You should use a little water with any recipe, even if the recipe
doesn't call for any, just to make the mixture softer and to press into the
casings.  (Or substitute beer or wine for the liquid, if you desire).  The
trick to good sausages is to keep the air out of the casings; you can work
small air bubbles out from either end of thecasing, or you can poke a
PINPRICK hole in the casing to remove an air bubble.  That's the major
problem I've found in homemade, but I've got a 25-lb press that I only pull
out for feasts.  Otherwise, I just use the 5-lb press I use for classes.
I've made Medieval German and Italian sausages and modern, as well.  One of
the things we've done, once, many years ago, was a fish sausage, made by
Master A, Charlie, and me, for a Celtic Silliness "Come as you're not"
event.  I believe Adamanteus had posted the recipe here a while back.

Regards,
Brekke