[Sca-cooks] Sausage Making

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Apr 15 20:23:20 PDT 2006

Muiriath asked:
=====
   Now I have another question.  Has anyone here made sausages and if
so, did you find the task to be difficult? I am looking into buying a
meat grinder/sausage combo for next to nothing.   I remember someone
saying that the casings can be difficult to find, but I have found an
on-line source that ships them in brine and vaccumed sealed.
=====

Yes. This is, in fact, a reoccurring conversation thread there. It
isn't that difficult, although having the right tools, such as the
sausage grinder/stuffer accessories for one of the mixers, as well as
having more than one person, seems to help a lot.

Here are a few files in the FOOD-MEATS section of the Florilegium
which have some of the best comments from the previous discussions here:
sausages-msg     (176K)  4/17/05    Period sausages. Making sausage.
sausage-makng-msg (36K)  4/20/05    Sausage making techniques. Supplies.

And for a similar, yet different dish:
haggis-msg        (94K) 10/25/01    Scottish haggis recipes. comments
on haggis.

There is also this file in the ANIMALS section:
pig-to-sausag-art (17K)  8/31/98    From pig to sausage by Mordonna
Dubois.

These files are pretty much all on creating fresh sausage. To take
this another step to smoked sausage, check out this file in the FOOD-
MEATS section:
meat-smoked-msg   (48K)  4/20/05    Medieval smoked meats. Smoking
meats.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas