[Sca-cooks] Really Spiffy Decorated /E/g/g/s/, er, Chickens

marilyn traber 011221 phlip at 99main.com
Sun Apr 16 08:45:22 PDT 2006

> http://www.dharmatrading.com/featured_products/easter_eggs.html

Love the eggs, however, a lady from FreeCycle gave me her small flock of
chickens, so I'll now have decorated chickens ;-) She gave me the following,
the url being where you can see a picture of them. Cogburn the Incorrigible,
my Chief Rooster is a Barred Rock, and his (original) Ladies are Buff
Orpingtons ( http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/product/buff_orpingtons.html )
so I now have quite a variety ;-)

3 RI Red Hens,

http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/product/rhode_island_reds.html

1 Sexlink, (babies come in two different colors, depending on gender. She's a
speckled white- very friendly)

2 Barred Rocks,

http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/product/barred_rocks.html

4 Bantam Cochin hens,
2 Bantam Cochin Roosters

http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/product/buff_cochins.html
http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/product/black_cochins.html

1 Bantam Silkie Rooster (black)

http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/product/silkies.html
http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/product/bantam_black_silkies.html

1 Old English Bantam Rooster

http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/product/bantam_b_b_red_old_english_game.html

He's pretty small, tiny, in fact, and because he's a bit shy, I put him in
with the hens and Cogburn. He and Cogburn had an epic battle, sorta like the
Giants and the Dwarves battle at Pennsic ;-), with Chewbacca (Margali's name
for him) actually getting a few strikes in on Cogburn's comb, and running
UNDER him a couple times, and Cogburn treating him like he treats any uppity
youngster, disciplining him without hurting him- stepped on him a couple
times, and pecked him once or twice, but Honor was satisfied, so now they're
getting along OK.

The other 3 bantiy roosters are caged still. I'll let them out, outside the
pen, in a couple days, once they know where home is.

All hens are laying, including my original three, so I think I could use a
few egg recipes ;-)

Happy Easter- I got the chickens, y'all can have the eggs ;-)

Phlip

Wanting some Araucanas for natural easter eggs next Easter...