[Sca-cooks] stfnal drink recipes (OT)

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 18 08:05:56 PDT 2006

> On Apr 18, 2006, at 7:51 AM, M+D: Mary and Doug Piero Carey wrote:
>
>> If I can find them, I know that I have at least 3 recipes for Trin
>> tea, possibly 2 for Sauian Brandy & one for Romulan ale.  It may take
>> a while...this will require some serious excavation.
>

> So, is there a written recipe out there for Trania, invented, as far
> as I know, by an Østgardrian fighting unit known as The War Puppies?
> I STR it involved Lemon-Lime Kool-Aid, Lemon-Lime Gatorade (I guess
> so you wouldn't get dehydrated from drinking the stuff), pure grain
> alcohol, and one of those camper's Glo-Sticks, among other things.
> This is not, of course, a recipe from Star Trek fandom culture, but I
> thought there might have been some kind of cross-pollination at work...

Considering that the overlap of Star Trek Fandom and the SCA approached
100% in the early days, this is hardly surprising.    The SCA began in
1966, Star Trek began in 1966, that means Star Trek is Period, right
Miniver Cheevey?  [Ooooh, running for The Rock now!]

Tranya was "played" in the show by Pink Grapefruit Juice, according to
the recent Star Trek cookbook which exposed a lot of on-set food
styling.  Unfortunately, child actor Clint Howard really detested the
stuff.  He was a little trouper but you can still see the near-wince on
his face in that scene.  [I'm not that good, it just aired on G4 last week.]

Green gatorade + everclear was what we used to call Klingon Kool-Aid...
damn, we did some really stupid drinking.  I also strongly advise
against combining dry ice with glow sticks, whose structural integrity
is not rated to extremely low temperatures after all.

OK, another one:  Klingon Iced Tea, which was Blackcurrant Vodka with
Dr. Pepper, tying in Worf's favorite prune juice with the popular urban
legend about Dr. Pepper.  Rather drinkable but my memory of the exact
proportions are curiously fuzzy, Jared may have to field this one.

Selene