[Sca-cooks] Re: Food-related Meta-Issue

Tom Vincent tom.vincent at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 19 10:48:16 PDT 2006

Well, first my weakest argument:  If you don't try alternatives, how will you ever find a better system?

  That being said, there are certainly better (*and* period) criteria for determining a crown that the populace appreciates...someone that inspires people to say, "Now SHE'S a queen!" in all honest and sincere praise.

  Again, like others, you're presenting an example of crowns who were (I'm guessing) wonderful *despite* having had to 'earn' the crown the current way.  Doesn't that tell you something?  How many 'deserving' members are there that would make wonderful kings & queens but who can't lift a sword to save their lives?

  Now, the problem with the way Adria, ECS and others do it is that the standards are simply not high enough.  A majority of members should be able to say about *each* candidate for crown that, yes, I may not agree with their positions on all the issues, but at least I can see them as crown.

  I don't know of any re-creation group that has successfully developed a way to mimic hereditary crowns in a fair & open way, but it might be interesting to try to come up with one.

  Duriel

Susan Fox <selene at earthlink.net> wrote:
  Sure, it would be nice, but NO medieval recreation organization has
managed all of these at the same time. I could make a few arguments in
favor of a few of our royals fulfilling up to the latter three at the
same time, but their better qualities are not the same skills that won
their Crowns. [I'm thinking Guillaume and Felinah of Caid in
particular, of course, but they were Landed Baronage and Pelicans before
he ever won Crown. The experience helped a lot.]

What did you have in mind in terms of "gained the throne in period
ways"? Thumping the other guys by group combat instead of single
combat? The Adrian Empire has gotten just as many royal prats that way
as the SCA has, get real. Being born to the right parents? The only
second-generation royals I can think of off the top of my head are the
Bellatrix boys, and even then, neither of them succeeded their father
directly.

Enjoying the discussion!

Selene

Tom Vincent
Demon Prince (retired)

It's a good thing the phrase "the tipping point" became a cliche just in time to help us describe global warming. Just a few years ago, we were more or less cruising along on global warming, with maybe 50 years or so to Do Something about it. Suddenly, the only question is how soon to push the panic button, and 10 minutes ago appears to be the right answer.
- Molly Ivins
http://www.workingforchange.com/article.cfm?itemid=20595