[Sca-cooks] Pizzelles

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 20 15:57:18 PDT 2006

>Honestly, I was just going to eat them plain :)  But may go out
>and buy some ice cream and strawberries since a few of them I
>formed into bowls.

Well, if this is for a feast I'd suggest something like the
creme boyled or a custard or even mascerated fruits
with yoghurt. Something a little more period. If for
just snacking on at home then the ice cream thing is great.

>   Though I am wondering if I should some savory recipes (like green
>onion crepes or a cornbread one)

Cornbread would be...interesting....
Savory cryspes or wafres (pizzelles) were both sweet and savory.
Rarely filled but often sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar.
Often they were made with red wine and cheese.
There are illustrations of wafres in elaborate serving bowls
at period feasts.

>   Or roll them into a cone and fill with a light custard

Lots of fun stuff. Make savory ones and fill with chicken salad.

>   -Muiriath

Gunthar