What a Cook eats : WAS [Sca-cooks] Non-feast cooking

marilyn traber 011221 phlip at 99main.com
Thu Apr 27 23:04:58 PDT 2006

> > This is all actually really interesting....
>   > What do cooks eat when its just for them? I'm always fascinated
> to hear  > what foodies cook for themselves and their families and
> what simple food  > pleasures they enjoy.  >

When I'm on my own, I individually package one serving amounts of meat and
veggies in baggies, splitting them up from the Omigawd packs you can get at
the grocery or places like BJs. Then a normal meal is a packafe of meat du
jour and a package of veggies. I also add in fresh veggies in season, and
always have staples like canned tomato products, onions, dry beans, carrots,
rice, pasta and potatoes on hand, so I can throw something simple together
without a lot of effort. If I'm in the mood for a real comfort meal, my fall
back position is green beans, mashed potatoes, and fried chicken.

I also will make biggish pots of stew and chili, and individually package
that and freeze it. That way, I can eat home cooking, without a lot of
effort. When I'm particularly flush, I buy a few frozen pre-prepped things-
love Stouffer's Spinach Souffle and green bean casserole (so sue me, I LIKE
green bean casserole, don't always want to make it) and have them with my
meat du jour. Some kim chee and pickled beets and eggs in the fridge, and
lately Pear Mustard, and I've got a whole lot of good stuff to eat, that
takes minutes of prep, and all I need to do is read a book while it cooks.

Phlip