[Sca-cooks] Images of Dining in Ireland 1581

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Wed Aug 9 04:39:13 PDT 2006

Kass McGann has a number of articles up on Irish dress
at her website Reconstructing History.
http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/irish/index.html
She has a number of patterns out on Irish dress.
The articles can be found by clicking on "Irish" in the left column.
The one on the leine
http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/irish/leine.html  goes into
that odd  pleating. She points out that while John Derricke was in Ireland
but that the engravings were made in England.

I've always seen these woodcuts in association with costuming too.
This feast scene gets mentioned or reproduced in small images
also because of the music aspects. Finding it in a large image that
can be examined for details was, I thought, worth posting. Also
this is supposed to be the best and most complete set of the woodcuts
which makes the volume something special.

Johnnae