[Sca-cooks] Hidden sources of food allergens

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 19 19:38:49 PDT 2006

True.  I am allergic to capsicum peppers.  Which isn't a problem at a truly period
feast, as all capsicum peppers are New World.  But in the modern world, it is a huge
problem as many of the world's cuisines dote on the stuff.  If I am in a restaurant
or dining at a friend's or relative's house, I have to question thoroughly what is
in each dish.  Last year, a cousin's daughter graduated from high school and when I
went to her celebration, there was a huge spread of food.  And what did I get to eat?
Taco chips with no salsa or dip and refried beans.  Those were the only dishes that
had no peppers in them.  And I have come to dread potlucks.  Too many times the only
dish I can eat is the dish I brought. And when I was working, I used to eat the Weight
Watcher's and Lean Cuisine entrees for my lunch, as they were low calorie and very filling.
But I had to be very very careful and read the ingredients lists.  About 75% of
any prepackaged and prepared food has some form of capsicum pepper in it, especially
bell peppers.  Sigh.  Capsicum peppers weren't on that list either.

Huette