[Sca-cooks] breaded vs. dredged? grilling dredged meat?

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Tue Aug 29 02:56:26 PDT 2006

On Aug 29, 2006, at 12:13 AM, Stefan li Rous wrote:

> I guess I think of dredging as being used with flour while breading
> being more used with crumbs of some type.

In general, I agree, but you can also dredge in chopped nuts, oatmeal
or cornmeal, or just about any small particulate, if that's the word...

> But "dredging" also gives
> me the impression of pushing something through the coating material
> and generally applying it thicker than simply "breading" it. So is
> there a methodology or a materials difference? or no difference at
> all?

If it's coated with bread or an obviously breadlike coating, such as
batter, by extension it is breaded. Floured objects, technically
speaking, are floured, dredged with flour or coated with flour, but
not breaded. I think perhaps you're being too literal-minded, with
visions of people dredging the river bottom for the remains of Tom
and Huck, in some of the rest of your thoughts on dredging. How
thickly-coated an item becomes has a lot to do with the materials,
whether there's liquid involved, and the technique.

> niccolo difrancesco commented:
>> Flour dredged and grilled would definitely be a
>> different critter from what I was envisioning.
>
> I can see coating with flour and then frying the item in an oil, but
> wouldn't putting a flour coated item onto a grill simply end up
> burning the flour coating rather than resulting in some kind of
> browned coating? Maybe this turns on the type of grill though. I'm
> thinking of an open, barred grill. If it's a flatiron type grill then
> I guess this might be different but unless there is fat turning into
> an oil, it still seems that you would simply end up with burned flour
> coating some somewhat cooked meat. So, what am I missing here?

I wondered about that myself, since you don't run across this
technique all that often, generally speaking. You probably need a
fairly gentle heat as compared to your more typical grilling/broiling
-- this would me more like roasting, or even toasting. A little fat
would help, too.

I am reminded of an experience I had just the other day: the Evil
Spawn is still of an age where he still experiences the occasional
sugar jones (only about 23 hours a day, now that he's more grown up),
and he being the UUY teenager, it turned out that he had not been
[effectively] taught how to properly roast or toast marshmallows. His
idea was that you basically set them on fire, allow them to turn
black, put out the fire and eat them. I'm like, "This is what's wrong
with this generation: no patience and no taste!" So I showed him how
to achieve (albeit over a gas flame, which is obviously Less Than
Optimal) The Real Deal, a perfectly poufed-up, golden/russet pillow
with only the occasional fleck of black (good pizza needs just a
little of this, too). It was just one of those things most people
don't give much conscious thought to, but it does help sometimes to
pay attention to the little things and understand them...

Adamantius