[Sca-cooks] Marshmallow Etiquette

Cat Dancer pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Tue Aug 29 06:40:32 PDT 2006

> I think there is a bit of a false dichotomy being posed.  You CAN melt
> thoroughly the little puffy nugget of love without charring the outside.
> You CAN char the outside of a 'mallow and have a "raw" inside.  The taoist
> in me sees the two conditions as separate goals . . . how does one get a
> perfectly melted, gooey insode while at the same time preparing the outside
> to the condition that one prefers.  We aren't after all, some thumbless
> bunch of goons . . . we are talented cooks with skills and finesse :o)  We
> can have both, which is what I suspect Master A was implying.  Me, I like
> the patiently melted center, then immolate the thing to just the right
> collor and texture on the outside (not burnt, but dfinitely crispy).
>

> niccolo difrancesco

Exactly! When the outside is slowly and lovingly roasted to a deep golden
brown, and the inside is all melted and gooey, that's when it combines
best with the chocolate and the graham crackers.

The executive assistant to the CEO has been coming up with tasty treats
for us on Fridays this summer--a couple of weeks ago it was s'mores. She
had a table set up with three little kettle grills and hot charcoal, and
marshmallows on sticks.

What's your preferred chocolate for a s'more? Mine is Hershey's milk
chocolate, because it's traditional.

Margaret FitzWilliam