[Sca-cooks] a Well-Dressed Peacock and a Golden Calf

Stephanie Ross hlaislinn at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 6 21:01:38 PDT 2006

Brigid wrote:
The excerpt described a gilded calf stuffed with birds. I thought it was an
interesting example of conspicuous consumption.

I read it. I'm sorry, I though it was just for us to muse over, not to
actually comment on. It was probably very tasty, and would make be serious
theatrics to cut open for head table. I could never make it however. I've
just recently started eating meat again after a 7 years hiatus, tho I won't
touch beef (and yes I put 20 lbs right back on within months of adding
flesh back into my diet). I looked at the cock riding the pig out at Gode
Cookery recently and was very turned off. While it was  a cute concept and
all, the animals look mummified and creepy. I think the best I could do
would be to put the salted skin back on a pheasant or peacock. Whole
roasted mammals offend my "delicate sensibilities" *sniff* (just joking on
the snobby part). If I caught it and killed it I think it might actually be
easier for me. Birds and fish I can consider food, but calves and whole
pigs would really bother me I think.

I have never frozen coconut milk Kiri, so I can't help you there. It seems
to me it would separate out into water and coconut solids, but i can't see
why it wouldn't reconstitute with a few good shakes. However, the oil may
not become emulsified with the rest of it. I wouldn't have thought that
cow's milk could be frozen and then reblended either, but I've done it with
no trouble.

~Aislinn~
Et si omnes ego non.

"The care of human life and happiness and not their destruction is the
first and only legitimate object of good government." --Thomas Jefferson to
Maryland Republicans, 1809.