[Sca-cooks] Marshmallow Etiquette

Tara Sersen Boroson tara at kolaviv.com
Tue Aug 29 07:44:59 PDT 2006

In my humble experience, I've found that charring the outside is a sure
way to result in a raw interior.  I always liked the outside charred,
but hated the raw middle.  And, retoasting it was too touch-and-go.
When you've been alotted three marshmallows by the camp director, you
don't risk dumping one in the fire by re-toasting it after slipping off
the charred bit.

Now, slow roasting results in a perfect interior every time.

There is a middle ground.  You can slow roast until gooey, then flame
the sucker.  I've found a really high rate of marshmallow loss using
that method.  But, now that I'm in charge of buying my own marshmallows,
that's not as much of a traumatic event as it used to be.  Oh, and using
a two-pronged roasting fork instead of a traditional stick helps a lot
with the marshmallow loss factor.

Now, most marshmallows out there have modified food starch, which is not
on our gluten-free list :(  The vegan marshmallows from the health food
store... suck big hairy rocks.  I'm contemplating making my own
marshmallows for toasting.  Does that make me a loon?

-Magdalena

--
Tara Sersen Boroson

'Normal' is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work, driving through traffic in a car you are still paying for, in order to get to the job that you need so you can pay for the clothes, car, and the house that you leave empty all day in order to afford to live in it. -Ellen Goodman

[T]o admit authorities, however heavily furred and gowned, into our libraries and let them tell us how to read, what to read, what value to place upon what we read, is to destroy the spirit of freedom which is the breath of those sanctuaries. -Virginia Woolf