[Sca-cooks] barley meal

Holly Stockley hollyvandenberg at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 16 05:14:20 PST 2006

>That's good to know. When i joined the SCA in 1999 and for a few
>years thereafter, i could purchase barley grits (can't recall if they
>were Arrowhead Mills or Bob's Red Mill). Then 3 or 4 years ago i was
>making a dish that required barely grits and couldn't find them
>anymore. Odd, since there's so much more made public about celiac
>disease.

>I contacted several of my usual suppliers and asked about barley
>grits (it had a been a year or two since i'd bought any), and no one
>seemed to have heard of them. They even got out their order books
>from their suppliers and no barley grits. I eventually found that i
>could order it by the case from Colorado, but since i only use it
>once every 2 years, it seemed overkill.
>
>A shame, since the barely grits made very nice Pulentium.
>
>Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
>the persona formerly known as Anahita

Ah, if you wanted it pre-ground, you might contact these nice folks:

http://www.localharvest.org/member/M15110
Westwind Milling Co.

Their website seems to be down at the moment, so I'd probably either call or
E-mail.  They own an old mill in Argentine, MI.  So all of their grains are
fresh, stone ground.  They run in small batches, so they might not have
whatever you want in stock right at the instant you ask, but they can
usually tell you when they'll next be milling it.  All of their products are
non-brominated.  And with the wheat flours you can choose from whole or
white, made from soft or hard wheat.  Which is really nice when you're
replicating a recipe.  Spelt and rye flours are also available, and I'm
pretty darned sure they do barley meal.  They ship stuff on request.  ;-)

If you're ever in their neck of the woods, they also carry pasteurized,
nonhomogenized dairy products.  If you skim the heavy cream, you CAN float
an egg on it.  And, run through my kitchen-aid with the paddle attatchment,
makes fabulous butter.

Doodling around in the Linden/Argentine/Fenton area can be a lot of fun,
especially in the summer.  You trip over roadside stands with homegrown
produce everytime you turn around.  I recommend it as a weekend roadtrip to
anybody close enough to be bothered. 'Specially during Strawberry season.

Oh, and also seems to be available here:

http://www.ferrisorganicfarm.com/categoryView.php?cat=29

Barley flour at the top.  And at the bottom a small selection of some of
Westwind's flours.

Femke