[Sca-cooks] barley meal

Sandragood at aol.com Sandragood at aol.com
Sat Dec 16 08:33:46 PST 2006

In a message dated 12/15/2006 7:55:06 P.M. Central Standard Time,
adamantius1 at verizon.net writes:

Take  your time, do it right. If necessary drop the apples into
lightly  acidulated water to keep them from turning brown while you
finish  the job. My experience has been that SCAdians (and, frankly,
most  people) frequently tend to do one or both of two things: the
first  is to distort the sizes of the cut pieces in their knife work,
so  what is supposed to be 1/4" dice is really 3/4" dice, and the
second  is to succumb to a fatigue factor, where the first several
pieces  are the right size, but as they go along, they slowly get  larger.

I've discovered I prefer to use lemon-lime soda instead of the standard
lemon juice.  I know it's a modern thing, but I prefer the results.   It protects
fruit from browning, but the sweetness of the beverage leaves  the fruit fresh
tasting not tangy from the acidic ingredients (lemon, vinegar,  etc.)
normally used.

Liz