[Sca-cooks] period non-fire cooking methods

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Feb 27 22:36:06 PST 2006

 > I use the brick-wrapped-in-foil method as well, and have gotten very
 > good results (temps inside a cooler staying above 140 degrees
 > for over 2 hours).
 > I can't believe this isn't a period technique, using heated stones to
 > keep food warm on?  Surely there must be some evidence of that?
 > Christianna

I don't have any documentation on using hot rocks for this in period.
However, this file has a number of non-fire cooking methods
documented, from using hay to insulate and retain heat and cook the
food item that way, to solar cooking methods and evidence from
several periods and places to using unslacked lime with water or wine
to produce heat to cook food items. They were already using stone
ovens to hold heat and cook items, so the use of stones isn't that
different.

no-fire-cook-msg  (14K)  6/ 9/00    Period no-fire and solar cooking.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/no-fire-cook-msg.html

Stefaan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas